Likes - Activity - Laura_Hollis - Arkio

VR Class Reflection

The main thing I learned this year is that starting with a concept as vague as designing a model city around the UN Sustainable Development Goals is actually workable. The class was split up by SDG, and each person was responsible for contributing buildings or structures that represented different goals.

Experiences in Class

This year, I took the VR class that focused on design, technology, and collaboration. Throughout the course, I learned many new skills and gained hands-on experience with different tools and projects. One of the most interesting parts of the class was working with 3D models and 3D printers.

Engaging Activities

In this class, we did many fun and interesting activities together, and we built a city using Arkio in VR. It felt amazing to work together in a virtual environment and create buildings for our city project.

Challenges and Learning

Initially, using Arkio was difficult to grasp, but over time, I learned how to use it more effectively. The virtual reality class showed both the strengths and the difficulties of learning through immersive technology. Overall, I found the class to be very fun and enjoyable because it offered a unique experience compared to a normal classroom setting.

Focus on Sustainability

In this year’s VR class, I learned about virtual reality by designing my own buildings in Arkio. We used the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals as a guide for our projects, which helped me understand environmental challenges and how technology can contribute to solutions. We contemplated our city’s footprint and its connectivity to the UN’s SDGs.

Collaboration and Innovative Solutions

I originally took the mini course out of curiosity but ended up finding the subject much more engaging than I expected. The collaboration with my classmates was invaluable. We learned how to transcribe the amazing buildings we created in Arkio into something tangible to show in real life, marking the first step in bringing our projects to fruition.

Future Aspirations

This course has inspired me to continue exploring virtual reality applications in architecture and urban planning. I look forward to using these experiences in my future studies and career.