Likes - Activity - Laura_Hollis - Arkio

Background:

Architecture


VR Class Reflection

This year, I took the VR class that focused on design, technology, and collaboration. Throughout the course, I learned many new skills and gained hands-on experience with different tools and projects. One of the most interesting parts of the class was working with 3D models and 3D printers.

I had a great experience during this class. One of the most interesting parts was using Arkio VR to design and build buildings for our city project. It was cool to create structures in VR and see our ideas come to life in a new way. At first, Arkio was difficult to use and it took some time to learn.

This year, I had a great and very enjoyable time in the VR Class. In this class, we did many fun and interesting activities together, and we built a city using Arkio in VR. It was a very cool experience because we could work together in a virtual environment and create buildings of a city.

The virtual reality class using Arkio was an engaging and memorable experience that showed both the strengths and the difficulties of learning through immersive technology. Overall, I found the class to be very fun and enjoyable because it offered something different from a normal classroom setting.

In this year’s VR class, I learned about virtual reality by designing my own buildings in Arkio. We used the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals as a guide for our projects, which helped me understand the environmental challenges our world faces and how technology can help solve them.

The main thing I learned this year is that starting with a concept as vague as designing a model city around the UN Sustainable Development Goals is actually workable. The class was split up by SDG, and each person was responsible for contributing buildings or structures that represent each goal.

This year in the VR City class was honestly a really crazy and memorable experience. I originally started out just taking the mini course, mostly because I was curious and wanted to try something new, but I ended up liking it way more than I expected. Because of that, I decided to fully join the class.

This class gave me my first experience using virtual reality. Before this class, I had never used a VR headset before, so everything was new to me. I always remember that my reaction when I used the headset for the first time. At first, it was a little difficult to learn the controls, but over time, I got used to it.

Amazing work! This is such a creative way to combine urban planning, physical model making, and VR together. Love the mix of biomimicry, sustainability ideas, and futuristic transportation thinking! Also really excited that visitors will be able to explore the city in VR during the Art Show.

Dear Arkio Community, I’m writing this post to share my experiences using Arkio in the context of university education. I’m very happy to do this as a way of thanking the Arkio team who has supported me in various ways over the years as I’ve been experimenting with Arkio and VR.

Wow, this is amazing! It’s fantastic to see how you’re integrating Arkio into urban planning and geography education in such a hands-on way. The mix of VR, SketchUp imports, and collaborative student work is exactly the kind of creative application we love seeing. Your tips are super practical too.

This week, we are preparing the slideshow for the Cook/Fox trip. We also got back into Arkio, and each team member chose the building they are going to design based on their UN GOAL. The buildings are the most important factor for the city. We each choose a UN GOAL to decide the purpose of the buildings.

This week we discussed our city’s transportation and navigation design, focusing on how the roads will be laid out and where major buildings will be placed. We compared different styles of city planning, such as New York’s straight, grid-like streets versus cities with more curved and less rigid roads.

Hello Everyone! Hope you all are well. This week in our VR class, we figured out how we would transcribe the amazing buildings we make in Arkio into something tangible that we can show in real life. This is the first step in bringing our ideas into reality."

This week, we decided about our city’s footprint and the way that we will be connecting it to the UN’s SDGs. We contemplated the topography of our city; whether it will be flat or hilly, full of trees or barren, etc. We also thought about if our city is going to be fantastical or realistic.